A. To oversee the construction of fiber outside plant, and take responsibility for managing the design, inventory and construction process of Fiber Optic outside plant. To implement best practices in design and construction for economic efficiency and long-term sustainability.
II. REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS:
A. Reports to: Operations Manager
B. Matrixed to: Broadband Manager
1. Main Line Fiber Construction
2. Fiber Optic Technicians
3. Drop Contractors
A. Develop request for bids and solicit bids from contractors for all phases of construction. Evaluate and select best proposals. Investigate and vet potential contractors’ past work history and ability to perform the work adequately.
B. Continue to evaluate and improve construction specifications and methods.
C. Develop and manage work construction schedule to meet the goals of the projects. Work with GIS mapping technician and Electric Cooperative electrical engineering staff to communicate construction goals and timelines.
D. Promote safety to employees and contractors. Observe all safety rules. Maintain a safe working environment by adhering to policies, procedures, and regulations.
E. Provides oversight of contractor relationships.
1.Communicating safety and construction guidelines.
2. Dispatching construction crews to appropriate areas
3. Ensuring material flows to contractors. Performing occasional audits of materials and inventory to protect the company’s investment.
4. Performing quality control and assurance by performing random checks on construction crews and work product through inspections.
5. Comparing as-built maps to actual construction work.
6. Comparing and approving invoices to work performed.
7. Finalizing projects and closing construction work orders.
8. Materials management - Purchasing and maintaining inventory of all fiber materials
9. Permit acquisitions- Gathering the proper city, county, state, railroad, and any other permits required
F. Work with homeowners, business owners, and landowners on issues related to construction. Follow up to ensure issues are resolved.
G. Assist in training contractors and employees on fiber construction specifications and methods.
H. Work with drop and installation contractors and employees for scheduling and subscriber contacts to maximize customer satisfaction.
I. Ensure state, county, and local permits are filed appropriately. Work with cooperative electrical engineering department to request private ROW easements when required.
J. Preserve confidentiality of company issues when relating to staff, customers, and general public.
K. Support the Bylaws, guidelines, policies and philosophies of the company at all times.
L. Support the Mission Statement and Core Values.
M. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of personnel so classified.
N. The Fiber Plant Supervisor shall be required to perform any other duties assigned in order to fulfill the objectives of the company.
1. Operations Manager - To request and provide assistance as required; to confer on problems; to seek necessary approvals and to keep informed of departmental and company policies and procedures, and to discuss any unusual situations affecting the job.
2. Fiber Optic and Installation Technicians – To supervise the day-to-day operations of the technician employees. Approve timesheets and workload and schedules of Fiber Optic and Installation technicians.
3. GIS Mapping Technician – To confer on workflow best practices and design guidelines and quality. Request timely delivery of construction maps and splice sheets for packet delivery to contractors. Ensure as-built maps are approved and delivered to GIS Mapping Technician.
4. Customer Service Department – Work with customer service on subscriber and landowner issues to ensure contractors are performing work on schedule and all issues have resolution. Communicate with customer service on issue resolutions. To ensure continued access to private rights of way, all landowner issues must have resolution.
5. Network Engineering – To work with the network engineering group and ensure Fiber Optic System is constructed in a manner as defined by network engineering to ensure reliable service delivery.
6. Be a team player and provide leadership to maintain effective internal relationships to enhance information transfer and productivity.
1. Electric Cooperative
a) Operations Department – Work with operations department on day to day construction issues. Request electrically qualified linemen to assist construction personnel with safety concerns. Communicate construction schedules and ROW clearing needs and make-ready.
b) Engineering Department – Communicate make ready needs. Work with engineering to ensure adequate clearances, attachment methods, and maintain overall system reliability.
2. Contractors/Vendors – Provide oversight of all fiber optic construction contractors working on the system at any given time. Work with materials vendors to ensure adequate inventory to support construction timelines. Request and provide assistance as required and confer on problems as required to maintain efficient and effective systems.
3. Subscribers – To support and assist subscribers to access the network.
4. Be a team player and provide leadership to maintain good relations in all contacts with the general public.
I. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
A. Body Movements – This position is rated at a Level 1.0 for PCP testing.
B. Visual & Audio Acuity – Visual and audio acuity is essential to this position.
C. Travel – Frequent daytime travel across the entire service territory for construction inspection and subscriber and landowner issues. Infrequent overnight travel for meetings and training.
D. Substance Abuse Testing - Must pass all random and mandatory testing.
E. This position requires the ability to operate company vehicles safely.
A. Bachelor of Science degree in Construction or Project Management is preferred.
A. Prefer at least five (5) years’ experience in fiber optic outside plant construction and project management.
IV. JOB KNOWLEDGE:
A. Project management and organizational skills to keep the fiber build moving forward. Well versed in managing contactors and employees.
V. ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
A. Must be able to plan and organize work to meet deadlines. Work is varied and requires a high degree of accuracy with attention to detail. Critical thinking and problem-solving abilities are critical. The ability to multi-task is imperative. Working as a team player and leadership ability are essential functions of this position. Interpersonal skills for interaction with staff, customers, contractors, and the general public are required.
B. Must have general PC abilities including Microsoft Office and tablet operating skills. Must be able to operate and navigate electronic maps.
VI. WORKING CONDITIONS:
A. Normal office conditions. Some irregular hours may be required. Occasional travel may be required. After an offer of employment has been made, a physical examination is required which will include drug testing.